Fire kills Louisiana man, 74; started in rug near wood stove
GILBERT, La. (AP) - The Louisiana State Fire Marshal's Office says a 74-year-old man has died after trying to put out a fire that started in carpet near a wood stove.
The man's 70-year-old wife told investigators she was starting a fire in the stove when the carpet caught fire Monday morning. She tried to put it out with baking soda, then woke her husband, who also tried to extinguish the blaze.
Smoke got too thick to breathe. She said the fire "exploded" when they opened the door. She got out through a window, suffering a minor hand injury.
Their brick house was in Gilbert, Louisiana, about 50 miles southwest of Vicksburg, Mississippi.
The fire marshal's office says baking soda is good for small grease fires but in other fires can create blinding smoke.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Officer shot, killed in Mandeville was former Marine; leaves behind 7 children
East Baton Rouge on track to break record number of overdose deaths
FEMA issues Livingston Parish deadline for flood prevention master plan
Zachary man drowns while attempting elaborate marriage proposal in Tanzania
Police officer dead, another injured after shooting in Mandeville
Southern Center Jaylon Brinson excited to play in front of home town
Fans' Choice Award Winner 2019: Week 1- Isaiah Jones
Coach O Postgame after Lsu defeats Texas 45-38
Hunter Register leads Southern's offense despite loss to McNeese
Taylor Bannister's journey to becoming a LSU Volleyball Superstar