Fire in laundry room prompts nursing home evacuation
BATON ROUGE - A fire at a nursing home late Monday evening started in the facility's laundry room, firefighters said.
Firefighters were called to the Sunrise Assisted on Siegen Lane shortly before 7 p.m. The building's sprinkler system went off, helping to contain the fire. Fire crews had the fire officially contained in about 20 minutes.
The 93 people who live at the center were either evacuated outside or taken to safe areas of the building, the St. George Fire Department said. No residents were hurt, but a staff member was evaluated for smoke inhalation.
Thirty St. George firefighters worked the blaze from nine fire trucks.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
DPW cleaning out ditches in EBR as Tropical Storm Cindy approaches
EBR Sheriff stationed rescue vehicles ahead of storm
Ascension, Livingston inland waterways closed to recreational boaters at 6 p.m.
Mosquito fish being used to decrease West Nile Virus mosquito population
Valve releasing stinky odor disrupting church, neighborhood