Fire in chimney damages apartment
BATON ROUGE- A faulty chimney was blamed for an apartment fire late Tuesday night.
Firefighters said flames were coming out of the roof of the building in the 11600 block of Sherwood Valley Court when they arrived on the scene shortly before 8 p.m. The fire was under control in a matter of minutes.
Investigators said a chimney flue had broken away from its original position, allowing heat to reach ignition levels in the attic of the four-plex. Wood framing caught on fire after renters inside, a family of two, started a fire in the fireplace.
The fire was contained to the attic above the unit and there was smoke and water damage inside.
There were no injuries, the fire department reported.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Robotic physical therapy comes to OLOL
Fire station on Government Street undergoing remodel
Man arrested, another wanted in connection to deadly shooting on Jackson Avenue
Buddy Amoroso's widow plans to seek his seat on metro council
Two hotels held up in Baton Rouge Friday morning; police seeking 'brazen'...