Posted: Jan 1, 2014 5:57 PM by Rebecca Buchanan
Updated: Jan 2, 2014 7:12 AM
BATON ROUGE - Two homes in Baton Rouge went up in flames just before the new year.
One home caught fire at 9:10 p.m. Tuesday night on North 47th Street, the other at 9:35 p.m. on North 30th Street.
On North 47th, Sandra Dixon was asleep when the fire started in her home. Dixon said she wouldn't be alive for the new year, if it weren't for her dog Rocky. The boxer woke her up just in time to escape the fire.
They both made it out safe, but the home is a complete loss.
"Nothing, just the clothes on my back, the shoes on my feet and the grace of god, that's all I have left," continued Dixon. "All I do have is gratefulness of Jesus Christ in my life that he did spare me to see another year. I'm grateful, I'm prayful and I'm thankful for my neighbors, God up above and my dog."
The Baton Rouge Fire Department says the fire began near electrical equipment.
The house on N. 30th was also a complete loss, even damaging a home next door. A woman inside the house told the Baton Rouge Fire Department that the flames came from her window air unit. No one was hurt in that fire either.