Posted: Aug 3, 2011 5:54 PM by Rob Krieger
Updated: Aug 3, 2011 5:54 PM
BATON ROUGE- After nearly two years without any new firefighters the Baton Rouge Fire Department will renew its training academy, hiring 35 new firefighters.
The city will fund the academy, which was previously nixed due to budget restraints, with money found in the budget.
"We are using and putting these young people to work within existing budgets, because we had a larger number of vacancies than anticipated for this year," said Mayor Kip Holden.
The new hires means a little stress relief for the current force battling the blazes.
"It's a relief for us, we haven't had a school in a while, a lot of us have had to work a lot of overtime and it'd be nice to get some fresh guys on the floor," said Cody Thurmon, a five year veteran with the fire department.
The application process begins on Monday with the academy set to begin in November. Officials estimate more than 200 people will apply.