Fire department quickly extinguishes fire at hospital
BATON ROUGE - A propane-induced fire caused a small scare above the ICU at Baton Rouge General Bluebonnet Saturday morning.
Firefighters said the blaze was quickly extinguished, within six minutes of their arrival.
The St George Fire Department said the fire started when a propane bottle being used by construction workers to heat tar on the roof caught on fire. The small fire was located above the intensive care units, the department said.
The ICU area of the hospital was under a temporary shelter in place and was lifted after the fire was put out, a fire department spokesperson said in a news release. The department said the fire did not impact any other part of the hospital. Firefighters checked other areas to make sure the fire did not spread.
Video sent to WBRZ by a viewer shows smoke billowing from the roof. In the video, a blaring fire alarm can be heard.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Atchafalaya backwater flooding to linger for weeks
Landlord featured in On Your Side report arrested in alleged rental scheme
Officials make changes to Intracoastal Bridge merging
Former BRPD officer on a mission to walk again after horrific crash
DOTD: Repairs to Intracoastal Bridge may take up to a month to...