Fire damages, destroys apartments in Denham Springs
DENHAM SPRINGS - Firefighters said a fire damaged or destroyed a dozen units at the Boardwark Place Apartments in Denham Springs early Tuesday morning.
According to the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office, Livingston Parish Fire Protection District 5 responded to an alarm from the complex just before 3:00 a.m.
"We heard the sirens go off," said Wesley Wolfe, who lives in another building. "At that time we walked out and saw the third floor in flames."
Other residents said the fire and smoke were so thick, they needed help to get away safely.
"He heard the alarm and said 'wake up,'" said Breanna Vice, who was sleeping when her boyfriend woke her up. "And I couldn't breathe... I was coughing. I knew it was a fire. He said 'run,' and I blacked out. I don't remember anything."
All tenants and pets escaped without injury, according to sheriff's deputies. Firefighters said an unattended charcoal pit started the fire.
The Red Cross said 12 adults and three children received food, clothing, shoes, air mattresses, personal care supplies, and other guidance such as how to clean salvaged items and replace key documents such as driver licenses.
The apartment management is moving the displaced residents to other units in the complex.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
More than $160,000 raised in Unite for Our Heroes Telethon
West Baton Rouge school board offered free lunch for law enforcment
Hundreds gather for vigil for 3 slain officers
Financial help coming to families of fallen law enforcement heroes
Metro Council members oppose police residency requirements