Fire chief: Smoky fire killed woman
OPELOUSAS, La. - Opelousas Fire Chief Lee Cahanin says the coroner confirms that smoke inhalation killed a 63-year-old Opelousas woman.
He says Vera Hayes Gabriel's home was very hot when firefighters arrived, but a cup of water put out the fire.
Cahanin says investigators believe the smoldering fire heated the air until a brief burst of superheated gas engulfed the home, blistering walls and consuming all the oxygen so the fire was nearly snuffed.
He says that's happened only three times in his career.
Cahanin says Gabriel apparently was asleep in bed Thursday when a match or cigarette set a sofa smoldering.
He says her house lacked smoke detectors, and smoke apparently overcame Gabriel as she headed to the kitchen for water to put on the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Five arrested for sneaking into Tiger Stadium Sunday night
Vietnam veterans search for war buddy
In Louisiana teacher survey, support for mass protests, walkout
Dorothy Jackson sues Plummer family claiming they caused her to lose her...
Funeral for LSU Football great Billy Cannon set for Wednesday