Federal court hearing set on Sharper's latest plea deal
NEW ORLEANS- A federal court hearing is scheduled for former NFL star Darren Sharper, who has pleaded guilty or no-contest to charges involving the drugging and rape of women in four states.
Tuesday's hearing in New Orleans is the first for Sharper since he decided to maintain his guilty plea in U.S. District Court after a judge rejected a deal that would have meant as little as nine years in prison.
Attorneys said earlier this month that a new agreement had been reached.
U.S. District Judge Jane Triche Milazzo on Feb. 18 rejected the nine-year sentence and noted sentencing guidelines calling for a sentence in the range of 15 to 20 years.
Sharper might still be able to reduce that by cooperating in the case against two co-defendants.
Sharper had been accused in Louisiana, Arizona, California and Nevada.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Another Louisiana special session on taxes opens
Bridge on N. River Road impassable since 2016 flood, drivers demanding answers
WATCH: Python hunter rescues 4-foot alligator from the grip of a 10-foot...
Nutria spotted around City Park Lakes, best left alone
Power returning after thousands affected in EBR after outages
Temeka Johnson basketball camp about more than the game
Saints looking to fill backfield void during Ingram's 4-game absence
Saints RB Mark Ingram says he's 'not angry' with his contract
Sean Payton's coaching style propels him into 13th year with Saints
New coach excited to change basketball culture at Southern