FDA warns against eating raw dough amid E. coli fears
WASHINGTON - Your mother always told you not to eat cookie dough because you "could get worms," but the federal Food and Drug Administration has confirmed that she was at least partially correct. The FDA warned on Thursday that eating raw cookie dough can in fact make you sick due to an ongoing outbreak of illnesses related to some batches of flour.
The FDA and CDC say they’re now investigating an outbreak of infections that illustrate the dangers of eating raw dough. Dozens of people across the country have been sickened by a strain of bacteria called Shiga toxin-producing E. coli O121.
The FDA says some of those who got sick ate or handled raw dough that contained flour made at a General Mills plant in Kansas City, Missouri. General Mills has voluntarily recalled 10 million pounds of flour sold under the Gold Medal, Gold Medal Wondra and Signature Kitchen brands.
The agency also warns against using dough for play clay or homemade ornaments. The CDC is advising restaurants not to give kids raw dough to play with while waiting for meals.
The entire report is embedded below.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Doorman, veteran at local bar salutes for national anthem, becomes social media...
Gonzales could fine property owners for uncut grass
LSU gets shout-out from 'The Office' after halftime performance goes viral
Veteran Affairs to hold LA Gold Star dedication ceremony
Agency says two-headed snake may go to educational facility