Family has tale of surviving firework explosion
DENHAM SPRINGS - A family is thankful for their safety, after a firework appears to have malfunctioned, and explodes feet away.
"I've seen a lot of artillery go off in my life," one family member said. "That right there, that was real. It sounded like it was the real deal."
This isn't the first time Bryan Glenn and his family celebrated the fourth with fireworks, but it is the first time something went wrong.
After dropping the shell in the cardboard firework tube, instead of shooting up into the air, it exploded on the ground.
"The cartridge blew up inside the tube, and blew parts of the tube everywhere," Glenn said.
Glenn created this list for his family to remember when using fireworks:
1. Recognize fireworks are explosive devices.
2. Never improvise, boost or combine fireworks.
3. Call out/alert all in readiness each time a fuse is poised for ignition.
4. Ensure the "firing area" is clear and secure before ignition.
5. Never attempt to fix a damaged, malfunctioning or "dud" firework. Discard it safely.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Many Baton Rouge hotels completly booked for football-filled weekend
Police investigating racial slur left on LSU students' door
Three in jail following Ascension Parish crime spree
Residents see first debris pick up in Livingston Parish since flood
Tickfaw State Park hopes to reopen sometime in 2017