Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Family: Gary Plauche has died

4 years 11 months 3 weeks ago Wednesday, October 22 2014 Oct 22, 2014 October 22, 2014 8:18 AM October 22, 2014 in News
Source: WBRZ
By: Trey Schmaltz

BATON ROUGE- Gary Plauche died Monday family members told WBRZ News 2.

Plauche, 68, shot and killed his son's karate instructor at the Baton Rouge airport in 1984. The man, Jeffrey Doucet, was accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting Plauche's son, Jody.

Plauche waited for Doucet to be escorted back from California where authorities said Doucet had taken Jody Plauche before he was rescued and Doucet was arrested. He had been extradited back to Baton Rouge and was walking through the airport when Plauche, waiting by some payphones pulled out a gun and fired a shot.

Plauche was sentenced to five years probation and did not serve time in jail following the shooting. He maintained his actions were the natural response of a father who believed his son had been violated.

Gary Plauche died at a nursing home in East Baton Rouge where he had been living since having a stroke in 2011, family members said.

"He died peacefully," Jody Plauche told WBRZ Tuesday. He added arrangements were still pending and the family was taking into account upcoming football games to plan services.

Saturday is an LSU game and Sunday features the Saints. The family was worried about disrupting plans for fans.

"My dad wouldn't want that," Jody Plauche said.

In 1997, Gary Plauche asked the State Pardon Board to allow him to carry a gun again. Jody was by his side then.

"My son got married, [I have] grandchildren and might want to go take him hunting like a grandfather should do, I just want to restore my life back to normal," Gary Plauche told the board.

"He wants to clear the record, he's going through the proper steps," Jody Plauche told then-channel 2 reporter Marvin McGraw.

"Everyday I think about it," Gary Plauche told McGraw.

The board eventually denied the request, stating Plauche's sentence was light.

Five years later, Gary Plauche explained to WBRZ News 2 why he felt compelled to take justice into his own hands.

"[I shot him] for the things he'd done to my son and a bunch of kids I found out later," he said. "I figured I was going to get the [electric chair]. But, I knew that he wasn't going to fool with any kids anymore."

Jody Plauche said his father's death was from complications related to the stroke.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz


More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days