Family escapes burning house, firefighters injured
DENHAM SPRINGS - Two firefighters were injured battling a massive house fire in Livingston Parish Friday night.
The fire sparked around 10 p.m. at a house on Caney Branch Road in Denham Springs.
The fire was so hot it melted one firefighter's boots and blistered his face mask, Chief Joe Koczrowski said. That firefighter and another who had heat exhaustion had to be taken to a hospital for treatment, but are not seriously injured, the chief said.
The family was able to escape without injuries, but the house was destroyed.
Fire investigators say the house had working smoke detectors, but they didn't go off because the fire started in the garage and moved through the attic.
Koczrowski said he could not discuss the cause of the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Jury convicts deputy marshal for shooting death of boy, dad\'s injuries
At least 3 injured after tree falls on cars near Tara
Beloved cat with microchip went missing, adopted by another family
Hammond school closed Friday due to Norovirus outbreak
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Long-time employee quits, allegations surface over missing money