EXCLUSIVE: Man survives trailer explosion
ST. AMANT - A man in Ascension Parish is thankful to be alive after narrowly surviving an explosion that shook homes in a 12-mile radius.
According to Fire Chief James LeBlanc, Charles Boyd was checking for a propane leak on his motor home with an open flame when it blew up. LeBlanc said Boyd was thrown nearly 30 feet from the motor home.
"God had to be looking after me, there's no question about that," Boyd said.
The explosion burned Boyd's head and caused windows to break at three homes nearby.
"I have a pacemaker, and it went into overdrive," said Thelma Phillips, who lives across the street.
She said the explosion shook her house, and nearly caused her to fall out of her chair.
"Thank the Lord he was not burnt badly, so he has a lot to be thankful for and we do too," Phillips said. "The other homes were not destroyed."
As Boyd looks at what's left of his charred motor home, he's grateful to still be here. He doesn't mind the work he has cut out for him.
"I'll try to get this mess cleaned up," Boyd said.
The St. Amant Fire Chief said if you suspect you have a propane leak, don't use an open flame to check. Instead make a soapy water mixture, and if it bubbles get the leak fixed.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Murder suspect wanted in Livingston Parish arrested in Florida
Prairieville man arrested for impersonating a police officer
State officials respond to The Investigative Unit's report on Hwy 190 in...
Cemetery still working to identify bodies disturbed by August flood
Walker subdivision still having drainage problems