Ex-councilman now faces new charge
KENNER - Former New Orleans City Councilman Jon Johnson - awaiting sentencing in a federal corruption case - has been booked for allegedly failing to return a rental car in 2005.
The Times-Picayune reports the 63-year-old Johnson surrendered Tuesday to Kenner police.
A 2006 warrant involves a car rented from Vanguard Car Rental in Kenner on Aug. 21, 2005, days before Hurricane Katrina struck.
Police Chief Steve Caraway said Friday that Johnson's attorney, Julian Murray, called and said Johnson wanted to surrender. Johnson has since been released on bond. Murray says they're awaiting word from Jefferson Parish prosecutors on whether they will proceed with the case.
Murray called the situation "another post-Katrina screw-up," since the rental was returned.
Johnson pleaded guilty to federal charges and resigned from the council last month.