ESPN: La'el Collins not allowed to enter 2016 draft
BRISTOL - ESPN reports that former LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins will not be allowed to enter the 2016 NFL draft.
According to the sports network, Collins' representatives said he would go back to the NFL draft next year if he wasn't picked up by the third round in this year's draft. But now an NFL spokesperson says that won't be allowed and instead Collins will become a free agent.
Baton Rouge police want to question Collins in the murder of Brittney Mills, 29. She was pregnant when she was shot and killed last week. Her baby was delivered after the shooting, but the infant died Friday.
ESPN says Mills is believed to be a former girlfriend of Collins and that he may be the father of the child. BRPD hopes he can provide answers in the shooting.
Collins' attorney, Jim Boren, says there are witnesses who can vouch that Collins wasn't near Mills the day she was murdered. He has not been named as a suspect in the investigation.
Collins was projected as a first round pick in the 2015 NFL draft, but his stock fell considerably after his name was linked to the investigation. New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton told ESPN "I don't know that, with what we know, to answer your question fairly, I don't know that we would consider (drafting Collins) right now until we had more clarity."
The former LSU star originally tried to pull out of the draft all together before it started and enter the supplemental draft this summer. The NFL denied him saying there was no procedure for backing out of the draft.