Emergency order rescinded for Ascension Parish
GONZALES - Parish leaders rescinded a state of emergency Friday that was issued after flooding in Ascension Parish last week.
Parish President Tommy Martinez declared the state of emergency on May 30 after several days of heavy rains caused flash flooding in different areas of the parish, including Donaldsonville and Darrow.
"Out of concern for residents whose houses were impacted by flash flooding, we wanted to ensure that the parish would be considered for federal and state disaster relief funding," Martinez said.
Rick Webre, the parish's emergency preparedness director, said last night that 109 uninsured homes flooded in the parish, and that the number could climb as high as 150 homes as additional damage assessments are made. However, Webre said the damage was not extensive enough to warrant federal aid.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
EBRSO: Driver attempts to flee scene of crash, doesn't get far
LA 1 to get new signs telling traffic info.
BR zoo takes WBRZ behind the scenes after animal deaths
Students invade Capitol for 'Take our Daughters and Sons to Work Day'
Mayor's Office discusses Earth Day violence at Friday press conference