Electrical fire at Florida Blvd self storage facility causes $200k in damages
BATON ROUGE - Investigators say an electrical fire at a Florida Blvd self storage facility caused about $200,000 worth of damage as it burned through 84 motorcycles stored in a pair of units.
$160,000 of the total damage figure was attributed to the large number of moped type bikes that were stored at the Audubon Self Storage facility in 13800 block of Florida Blvd.
Firefighters say the facility’s manager called the fire in at around 9:10 a.m. Wednesday after he reported hearing a loud bang and popping sounds coming from a storage unit near the main office.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to a pair of storage units, but the office was also damaged by smoke.
No injuries were reported in connection with the fire as everyone was able to evacuate the structure.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Another Louisiana special session on taxes opens
Bridge on N. River Road impassable since 2016 flood, drivers demanding answers
WATCH: Python hunter rescues 4-foot alligator from the grip of a 10-foot...
Nutria spotted around City Park Lakes, best left alone
Power returning after thousands affected in EBR after outages
Temeka Johnson basketball camp about more than the game
Saints looking to fill backfield void during Ingram's 4-game absence
Saints RB Mark Ingram says he's 'not angry' with his contract
Sean Payton's coaching style propels him into 13th year with Saints
New coach excited to change basketball culture at Southern