Elderly apartment complex evacuated Wednesday night
BATON ROUGE- Managers and firefighters evacuated the Catholic-Presbyterian Apartments after a small fire triggered the sprinkler system and filled part of the building with smoke Wednesday night.
Emergency crews were called to the high-rise in downtown just before 8 p.m. about a fire on one of the upper floors. Numerous trucks and first responders surrounded the complex on North Street.
A fire department spokesperson said a microwave fire forced the alarm but was extinguished quickly although the smoke lingered.
"I was watching television and the fire alarm went off," said Rubbie Jackson, who lives in the building.
"They said everybody on the 5th and 6th floor leave the building, and my little dog got shaken real bad. He went to the door and I guess he smelled the smoke and started barking," she said.
Managers said there was water from the fifth floor down to the second. They spent Wednesday night inspecting the building and promised to have a safe place to stay for residents if they could not get back inside.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
EBRSO: Driver attempts to flee scene of crash, doesn't get far
LA 1 to get new signs telling traffic info.
BR zoo takes WBRZ behind the scenes after animal deaths
Students invade Capitol for 'Take our Daughters and Sons to Work Day'
Mayor's Office discusses Earth Day violence at Friday press conference