Eight in St. Landry accused of sexually abusing children
BATON ROUGE - Eight people have been arrested in suspicion of sexually abusing three young girls in St. Landry Parish this past October, according to State Police.
Superintendent Mike Edmonson said seven of the suspects were arrested early Friday morning, and the eighth suspect turned himself in to authorities this morning.
The eight are accused of sexually abusing three young girls in the Church Point area in October 2010. Edmonson said the suspects were either relatives of the victims or family friends, and were all charged with aggravated rape. Four suspects were also accused of aggravated incest.
"This crime is unconscionable," Edmonson said in a press release. "There is nothing more disturbing to me than seeing innocent children exploited and molested... and there is no place in a civilized society for such appalling actions."
Edmonson said LSP detectives were contacted by the Department of Children and Family Services two weeks ago about possible child abuse in the parish. Detectives interviewed the girls, and said they obtained other evidence they had been forced to have sex with several family members and family friends.
"Sexual abuse creates lasting effects in victims, often manifesting in psychological problems that affect all aspects of the victim's life from childhood into adulthood," said DCFS Secretary Ruth Johnson. "The long-term consequences make it imperative for cases of such abuse to be reported immediately to the appropriate authorities."
The following is a list of the suspects and their charges:
- John Stelly, 57, of Church Point - aggravated rape (3 counts), aggravated incest (3 Counts)
- Alice Stelly, 55, of Church Point - aggravated rape (3 counts), aggravated incest (3 Counts)
- Jennifer Stelly, 30, of Ville Platte - aggravated rape (3 counts), aggravated incest (3 Counts)
- Lawrence Ricks, 35, of Ventress - aggravated rape and aggravated incest (3 counts each)
- Barry Giglio, 52, of Ville Platte - aggravated rape (3 counts)
- Marla Giglio, 51, of Ville Platte - aggravated rape (3 counts)
- Marty Blood, age 42, of St. Landry - aggravated rape (3 counts)
- Brandy Blood, 26, of St. Landry - aggravated rape (3 counts)
If you know of anyone involved in the sexual exploitation of children, call the Louisiana State Police at (225) 925-3682.