EBR Redevelopment Authority CEO resigns
BATON ROUGE - The head of the East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority announced his resignation Monday, saying it was needed for the overall health of the organization.
Walter Monsour said his resignation would be effective Nov. 30. Someone else would be selected as interim CEO after he leaves to keep the RDA operating.
John Noland, chairman of the RDA's board of commissioners, said the agency has no more money for general operations because of a lack of dedicated funding. He said current operations will continue, though.
Monsour previously said the program will have exhausted all of its operational dollars and will have to shut down by Dec. 31, 2015, unless additional funding can be found.
The organization was started in 2009 to deal with urban blight around East Baton Rouge Parish. It's funded a variety of public tax credit and grant programs.
Since the RDA's inception Monsour said they have created 760 housing units and made or saved 3,350 jobs in the parish. The EBR RDA said pre-development work is also happening now to redevelop a 100-acre portion of Mid-City Baton Rouge, including the Mid-City Gardens development, warehouses and vacant land.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Tales of paranormal activity surrounding the Old State Capitol
The Louisiana Red Cross gives out free smoke alarms in two neighborhoods
LSU to wear uniforms saluting fallen WWI heroes Saturday
Mega Millions jackpot reaches $1 billion ahead of Friday drawing
Power restored in downtown Baton Rouge after electrical fire causes hours-long outage