Posted: Nov 5, 2010 10:18 PM by Ashley Rodrigue
Updated: Nov 5, 2010 10:18 PM
BATON ROUGE - The budget outlook for Baton Rouge in 2011 is making some departments do more with less.
Mayor-President Kip Holden delivered next year's budget to Metro Council this morning. With it, he delivered news that jobs and services will stay intact, despite operating costs coming in 2.5% less than last year.
In his address to council, Kip Holden said public safety will remain his priority next year, and he's backing it up with big money. Revitalization efforts are also receiving a boost in financial support.
Technology, planning, finance and public works are bearing some of the biggest burdens. Those are mostly in hiring freezes and vacant position eliminations.
The Public Works Director said the department has done well with the cuts from 2010 and doesn't see any slack in services for next year.
Some council members said a lot of work will need to be done on the $741 million proposal, but the mayor said making too many changes could cause too many problems.
The council will hold budget hearings starting next week. The hearings will last until the beginning of December, when the council will have to vote on final numbers.