Driver cited in two-bus wreck on leave
BATON ROUGE - A spokesperson with First Student said Monday the bus driver cited for a two-bus wreck which sent 21 kids to the hospital last week is on leave.
State Police cited Richard Lee Jr., 77, for careless operation after witnesses said he crashed into the back of a bus stopped with its warning lights on Friday afternoon in West Baton Rouge Parish.
On Monday First Student, which operates both buses involved in the wreck, said Lee would be on leave until an internal investigation of the incident can be finished.
The wreck sent 21 students to area hospitals to be checked out, though officials said there were no serious injuries. Helicopters had to be called in to transport some of them because there weren't enough ambulances to do it by ground.
Troopers said Lee was also at fault for a wreck 18 months ago.