Posted: Oct 29, 2012 7:24 AM
Updated: Oct 29, 2012 7:24 AM
CLINTON - The governing board for the East Feliciana Parish Emergency Communications District has rejected the sheriff's request for more money to answer 911 calls and said it will take over the responsibility.
Sheriff Talmadge Bunch last week notified the district he would discontinue providing 911 call-takers after Nov. 19 unless the district increases the amount it pays is office for the service.
The board approved a letter prepared before Friday's meeting that outlines its plans to hire its own personnel and eventually move them from the Parish Jail to the district's own building.
Bunch told the district in a letter last week his personnel costs for 911 operators total more than $316,000 a year, but the Sheriff's Office only receives about $94,000 a year from the district.