Posted: May 20, 2011 3:33 PM by Russell Jones
Updated: May 20, 2011 3:33 PM
BATON ROUGE - John Dilworth told reporters today that he has "failed" in his duties as superintendent of the East Baton Rouge Parish School System, which is why he would be leaving the office when his contract is up next year.
Dilworth held a press conference today announcing he would not seek a renewal or extension of his contract when it ends in June 2012. He had already sent out letters to school board members notifying them of his intentions.
Dilworth said today his biggest failure was not bringing together disparate members of the school board and helping to improve relationships and communication between them and himself.
In his letter to school board members, Dilworth said the relationship between them and the superintendent "has to be built on trust and support", and that he hoped the board "will find someone that all members can trust and support".
News 2 will have more on today's announcement from Dilworth coming up at 5 and 6.