Posted: Oct 30, 2012 10:32 PM by Kristy Davis
Updated: Oct 30, 2012 10:32 PM
BATON ROUGE - Halloween candy can hold tricks for some children expecting a treat. Allergens can lurk inside the candy, and could cause big problems.
It's the reason Haley Pittenger's mother has to have a safe bag of candy for her when she gets home from Trick-or-Treating. Haley has a severe peanut allergy, and a bite of candy when she was two years old, almost killed her.
"She started getting hives, and I gave her Benadryl and it progressed from there and we ended up taking an ambulance ride that night," said Haley's mom, Barbara Pittenger.
The reaction is called anaphylaxis and it's characterized by several symptoms including:
· Abdominal pain
· Abnormal (high-pitched) breathing sounds
· Difficulty breathing
· Difficulty swallowing
· Dizziness or light-headedness
· Hives, itchiness
· Nasal congestion
· Nausea or vomiting
Haley's physician, Dr. Prem Menon, says Haley's parents are on the right track restricting her candy. He also says parents should check labels for things like:
· Peanut flavoring
· Cold pressed, expressed, or expelled peanut oil
· Or even the words "natural" flavoring.
Instead of collecting candy, Haley has decided to collect canned food for the Baton Rouge Food Bank.
For more information on food allergies and anaphylaxis you can click on this link.