Custodian credited for stopping school fire
DONALDSONVILLE - School officials said a small fire at Donaldsonville Primary School was quickly put out Thursday morning by a custodian before it could cause any damage.
Ascension Parish School spokesperson Johnnie Balfantz said the fire happened around 9 a.m. when a stove was accidentally turned on and caught some nearby boxes on fire.
Balfantz said students were evacuated and a custodian put out the fire. The fire department was called in but the flames were extinguished before they arrived with no damage or injuries.
The burners which started the fire were removed, and the 570 pre-K to second grade students in the building were sent to Lowery Middle School and served lunch in the cafeteria. Parents were notified around 10:30 a.m. they could pick up their children early if they wanted.
Balfantz said children who weren't picked up early will be released from Lowery Middle School on their normal schedule, and that classes at Donaldsonville Primary would resume as scheduled Friday.