Posted: Dec 5, 2012 10:27 AM
Source: Associated Press
DOYLINE, La. - Authorities have resumed moving millions of pounds of explosives they say were improperly stored at a munitions recycling facility in north Louisiana.
State Police spokeswoman Julie Lewis said Wednesday the materials are being moved to a safe location at the Camp Minden industrial site in Webster Parish. Lewis says work was halted at sunset on Tuesday after about 400,000 pounds of material had been moved during the day.
The town of Doyline remains under a voluntary evacuation, though officials said most residents had stayed.
Authorities said about 6 million pounds of explosives found last week at the facility operated by Explo Systems Inc. was not stored in approved shelters. State police have opened a criminal investigation.
Officials of Explo Systems have not responded to repeated requests for comment.