Controversial guardrails still won't be installed in La.
BATON ROUGE - Louisiana will not release the suspension it put on a controversial guardrail design until more tests are done even though federal inspectors believe the guardrail is acceptable to be used on the side of highways.
Last week, the government cleared the ET-Plus design of any safety concerns after a series of reports suggested a design modification, made to save the company that manufactures it about $50,000 a year, made the guardrail into a sheering metal killer that severed legs and lead to traffic fatalities. The concerns were the focus of an ABC News investigation in late 2014. But, ABC reported new findings from a government decision allows the system to be eligible for use on American highways.
Although, a separate evaluation continues into specific crashes involving the guardrails and Louisiana will not clear their use until that is complete, the Louisiana DOTD said in response to an inquiry by WBRZ News 2 Monday. The state discontinued the use of the ET-Plus design in October.
Louisiana highway officials said the guardrails were likely already installed in the state, but said it has no exact record since it does not collect that data from contractors.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Another Louisiana special session on taxes opens
Bridge on N. River Road impassable since 2016 flood, drivers demanding answers
WATCH: Python hunter rescues 4-foot alligator from the grip of a 10-foot...
Nutria spotted around City Park Lakes, best left alone
Power returning after thousands affected in EBR after outages
Temeka Johnson basketball camp about more than the game
Saints looking to fill backfield void during Ingram's 4-game absence
Saints RB Mark Ingram says he's 'not angry' with his contract
Sean Payton's coaching style propels him into 13th year with Saints
New coach excited to change basketball culture at Southern