Congressman criticizes Louisiana's flood spending plan
BATON ROUGE - U.S. Rep. Garret Graves says he expects Louisiana to need additional congressional aid to recover from the August flood, and he's displeased with the plan to spend the money received so far.
Graves raised objections Monday to plans developed by Gov. John Bel Edwards' administration to spend $400 million on home repairs in low- to moderate-income households.
The Republican congressman says Louisiana shouldn't discriminate on income and should have sought a waiver of federal rules requiring the money to go to poorer households. He also had concerns about the program's administrative costs and a timeline that won't have payments to homeowners until spring.
Louisiana received congressional approval last week for another $1.2 billion in block grant assistance from Congress. The Edwards administration hasn't yet proposed a plan for that money.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Baton Rouge woman dies after cosmetic surgery in Miami
3-year-old toddler found after being reported missing Friday
State rep pushing for more ferry crossings to alleviate morning traffic
Gun stolen from inside of a Baker police officer's home
Livingston sheriff hosts annual Christmas Crusade to help families in need