Con Ed pays 87 victims following NYC blast
NEW YORK - Con Edison has made compensation payments to 87 survivors and residents displaced by the fatal building explosion last week in New York City.
The utility says it began making the payments last Thursday, a day after the blast.
This week, federal investigators found a leak in the gas main near one of the two East Harlem apartment buildings that were leveled. Eight people were killed and more than 60 were injured.
Con Ed spokesman Robert McGee says most of the people in the effected buildings have already contacted the utility.
He declined to provide the average amount paid for each person who was injured or lost his or her home.
The payments were made after "one-on-one" meetings with the victims.
The cause of the explosion hasn't been determined.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Roundabouts planned throughout Livingston Parish
Criminal justice bills derailed by Louisiana budget feud
EXCLUSIVE: Mayor speaks out after call for firing of BRPD officer
Wisconsin woman jumps on hood of her SUV to prevent theft
RAW: Video shows Southern's Devon Gales walking with robotic exoskeleton