City removes Bourbon St. nighttime preaching ban
NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans City Council has overturned its ban against preaching after dark on Bourbon Street.
The revision of the city's "aggressive solicitation" ordinance passed 6-0 on Thursday and takes effect immediately.
A federal judge barred enforcement in September after a street preacher sued the city in federal court.
Attorney Nathan Kellum says preacher Paul Gros won't drop a lawsuit filed after his arrest in May 2012. He says there must be vindication of Gros' constitutional rights.
The measure passed in 2011 got more attention after other street preachers were arrested during the Southern Decadence gay pride festival over the Labor Day weekend last year.
Earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier (BARB-yay) canceled a trial scheduled Aug. 12 and scheduled a status conference Aug. 15.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Post-flood water bill flooding woman with debt
Community celebrates city's bicentennial
Gunfire outside Sorrento landfill escalates enviromental fight
Reported two alarm apartment fire on Titian Ave. near N Donmoor Ave.
20-year-old wanted for shooting near Doe's restaurant on Government Street