City plans three-district blight fight Saturday
BATON ROUGE – The city will step up its blight control efforts this weekend in a sweeping operation unrelated to the weather system expected to impact Louisiana late Saturday evening.
The city announced crews will deploy a special cleaning crew to the streets Saturday, targeting illegal yard signs on city right of ways and utility poles. Crews will also pick up litter and trash along major streets and roadways along with trash and debris piles and also illegal tire dumps.
Crews will heavily focus on District 7 where WBRZ previously reported there were as many as 1,058 blighted properties. Crews will also work in Districts 5 and 6.
The city said there are nearly 200 requests for trash and debris.
In a statement, the city said the effort is part of Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome's commitment to address blight in Baton Rouge.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Downtown library officials: no progress in nine months
Friends, family mourn Brookshire Ave. shooting victim
Insurance won't cover man's $20k hospital bill due to policy terminology
State issues administrative order demanding repairs for Clinton water system
11-year-old prodigy starts classes at Southern University