Christmas tree recycling begins in East Baton Rouge
BATON ROUGE – Christmas tree collection doesn’t start for more than a week in Baton Rouge, but people who want to get rid of their tree now have a few options.
Seven drop-off locations are open for people to unload their Christmas tree before Jan. 6, which is when curbside pickup begins for the parish.
Recycling Director Susan Hamilton says trees will be picked up for all East Baton Rouge Parish residents, except in Baker and Zachary.
"The trees will be collected in rear loaders with other unbundled trash, sorted at the woody waste recycling center, and mulched or composted," Hamilton said.
Residents are asked to remove tinsel, metal stands, lights, and ornaments from trees before recycling them because those items can contaminate mulch and compost.
Here are the locations where Christmas trees can be dropped off before the curbside pickup begins:
- Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd.
- Highland Road Park, 14024 Highland Road
- Kathy Drive Park, off O'Neal Lane by Team Toyota
- North Sherwood Forest Park, 3140 N. Sherwood Forest
- Pecue Wood Recycling Facility, 9455 Pecue Lane
- Scenic Hwy. Wood Recycling Facility, 12601 Scenic Hwy.
- LSU, Skip Bertman Drive in lot across from Vet School
For more information about the program call the Recycling Office at (225) 389-5194 or visit its website.