68°
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Chimp attack victim denied $150M lawsuit

3 years 7 months 6 days ago June 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013 Friday, June 14 2013 June 14, 2013 1:26 PM in News
Source: Associated Press

HARTFORD- A Connecticut woman disfigured in a chimpanzee attack has been denied permission to sue the state.

Charla Nash's family sought permission to sue the state of Connecticut for $150 million but was denied by state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr.

The state is immune from lawsuits unless they're allowed by the commissioner.

Nash was blinded, lost both hands and underwent a face transplant after being mauled in Stamford in 2009.

Nash reached a $4 million settlement last year with the estate of chimp owner Sandra Herold, who died in 2010.

Nash's lawyer said the state should be held responsible for not seizing the animal before the attack, because it was warned the animal was dangerous.

State Attorney General George Jepsen said the state shouldn't be held liable for the mauling.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Radar
7 Days