Posted: Jan 3, 2014 6:01 PM by Rebecca Buchanan
Updated: Jan 3, 2014 6:46 PM
BATON ROUGE - The winter chill comes with an increase in chimney fires in the Baton Rouge area.
Chris Clouatre, owner of C.C. Chimney Sweep, said he's seen more chimney fires in the last few days than he has in years. He says fireplaces often get neglected, especially when someone new moves into a home and doesn't have it inspected before it's used.
Clouatre said metal fireplaces can sometimes shift, and many have in recent years because of hurricanes. Brick fireplaces also age, especially if the damper is left open when a fire is not burning.
"When the moisture gets in it, it seeps down into the fire brick, and then it just eats up the brick and the mortar joins and allows the heat to travel right through the fire brick. Even if they look good they can be water damaged," explained Clouatre.
Clouratre warns not to use paper in your fireplace, which he says is the number one cause of chimney fires.