Child in La. dies from brain-eating amoeba
ST. BERNARD- A child died from a brain-eating amoeba state health officials reported Thursday evening.
The child's name and exact age were not released.
The state said water samples taken from the home outside New Orleans tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, the scientific name for the amoeba. Initial water samples of the parish water system were negative for Naegleria fowleri.
But, the Department of Health and Hospitals found low levels of chlorine in the St. Bernard Parish water system, so leaders are taking preventative measures to flush the system.
The child's death is the third related to brain-eating amoeba in Louisiana since 2011.
The Centers for Disease Control has said to reduce the risk of the often deadly infection, limit the amount of water going up a person's nose.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Fallen EBRSO Sgt. Shawn Anderson to be laid to rest
Fallen EBRSO Sgt. Shawn Anderson escorted to Healing Place Church
Walker police officer resigns after placing noose in squad room
Pastor hopes to help family, friends heal as Sergeant Anderson is laid...
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Livingston deputy ignores three court subpoenas, held in contempt