Chemical smell closes schools, senior center
BATON ROUGE - A chemical smell closed elementary schools and a senior center in the Scotlandville area this morning.
Crestworth Elementary, J. K. Haynes Elementary Charter and Crestworth Learning Academy all closed as a result of the smell Friday.
Parents were intially told to pick their children up at the schools. Students still at Crestworth Elementary were bused to Scotlandville High, and students at Crestworth Learning Academy were taken to the Recovery School District office.
The Greater King David Senior Center also closed, according to people at the center.
Baton Rouge Fire crews are in the area searching for the source of the smell at this time. Spokesperson Robert Combs said until they locate it, they can't track down its source.
An Entergy spokesperson said they received dozens of calls starting Thursday and continuing today about a chemical smell. They said Entergy had not detected any gas leaks in their system, and notified the Dept. of Environmental Quality about the calls.
News 2 crews are headed to the scene and will have more on this breaking story here at WBRZ.com, our Twitter feed @WBRZ, and on News 2 at Noon.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Daycare owner indicted on negligent homicide charge in child's death
Slow start to ticket sales for Saturday's LSU, USC game
La. VA secretary out amid patient care scandal
LSU general admission tickets go on sale Thursday
West Feliciana deputy accused of using 'n' word, multiple complaints filed