Chef of the Month - Shepherd's Pie
Rob Irwin and David Montgomery with The Londoner Pub and Grill stopped by the 2une In kitchen to close out May's Chef of the Month segment with a British-inspired dish.
2 cups shepherd's pie mix (see recipe below)
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 ounce Gruyere
1. Heat mix up in a saute pan.
2. Transfer to serving crock, pipe on mashed potatoes and cover with Gruyere cheese.
3. Place in salamander until potatoes and cheese begins to brown
Shepherd's Pie Mix
10 pounds ground beef
2 pounds yellow onion, sliced and quartered
1 pound carrots, diced and quartered
1 pound celery, diced and quartered
1 pound peas
3 quarts beef stock
1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
1 cup + 1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup flour
salt and pepper
4 tablespoons fresh herbs (basil and parsley)
1. Brown beef and drain.
2. Saute onion, carrot and celery in 1/2 cup of oil.
3. Deglaze with red wine then beef stock.
4. Make simple Roux (dark brown) with flour and oil.
5. Return all ingredients to large stock pot.
6. Cook until thickened, simmer for one hour then add in English peas.
7. Transfer to storage container, label and date.
White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
10 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered
10 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and quartered
1 pound unsalted butter
4 pounds shredded white cheddar cheese
1 quart heavy cream
1 ounce white pepper (do not use black pepper)
1 1/2 ounces salt
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Place the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water. Add two tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat and let simmer, covered. Cook until completely tender, drain in a colander and let dry for a few minutes.
2. Warm heavy cream, butter and white pepper in another pan until the butter is completely melted and set aside.
3. Transfer the potatoes to a stainless steel bowl and mash the potatoes on low speed adding the warm liquid and mix until the potatoes have absorbed all the liquid and the potatoes are smooth. Add the grated cheddar cheese and olive oil and blend until the cheese is fully incorporated. Keep warm.
***White cheddar mashed potatoes must be made fresh everyday***