Posted: Oct 23, 2011 9:44 AM
Source: Associated Press
MONROE, La.- A Sterlington father took issue with the Ouachita Parish School Board's cellphone policy after Sterlington High School confiscated his son's phone.
During the board's meeting earlier this week, Phillip Campbell asked board members to revise the cellphone policy. Sterlington administrators confiscated his son's cell phone for 15 days after the boy violated the policy.
Campbell said he doesn't believe the School Board should have a policy that allows schools to take away personal property for any length of time.
Campbell said he recognized cellphones in classes presented a problem and he acknowledged his son violated school rules.
The News-Star reported that Campbell argued keeping personal property for more than two weeks was not good policy.
"I realize the cellphones are an issue. I have no problem for any punishment my son receives for using the cellphone. He got caught and he broke the rules, and there are consequences to that. But the fact that you are keeping my personal property for 15 days is something I have an issue with," Campbell said.
In 2009, the School Board revised its student cellphone policy after several parents complained it was too harsh.
Superintendent Bob Webber said the School Board may revisit the policy again and make changes.
"The cellphones are a major issue for us. Several years ago the principals asked us to do something because they had become such a problem at our schools," Webber said.
Campbell said he bought his son the cellphone in order to communicate with him outside of school.
He said instead of confiscating the cellphones, the School Board should require student violators to spend time in detention or face suspension.