Cell phone could be to blame in fire that injured 1-year-old
IBERIA PARISH- Authorities are investigating a house fire that injured a 1-year-old girl.
The fire happened before 1 a.m. at a home on Church Street in Jeanerette. According to a post by the Louisiana Fire Marshal, a 14-year-old boy said he was sleeping in a room with his 1-year-old sister. When he got up to use the restroom he smelled smoke and saw a fire on the mattress.
Detectives have determined that the fire started on the bed where a cell phone was sitting while plugged into an electrical outlet.
Authorities say the 1-year-old sustained second-degree burns on her head, arms, and legs. She was taken to a hospital in Texas for treatment.
The investigation is still ongoing.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Zachary firefighter who died in crash Friday laid to rest
Deadline approaching for business owners interested in eBay's Retail Revival program
Police called after vehicle crashes into noise barrier wall on Staring Ln.
NOPD horse walks into Bourbon Street bar during 'Old Town Road'
More street lighting coming to Tigerland after student struck, killed crossing road