CATS to hold public meeting about route and schedule changes
The Capital Area Transit System will hold a public hearing to receive public input and decide on changes in routes and schedules.
The changes would take effect on Sunday, November 29, 2009. The public hearing will also address a fare increase for paratransit services from $1.00 per trip to $1.75 per trip, which is the same as regular fare.
CATS staff will be available to explain proposed changes as well as to receive input and suggestions from those in attendance. The hearing will be held at the Metropolitan Council Chambers on Tuesday, November 17, 2009, from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 in Room 364. This hearing will be during the meeting of the CATS Board of Commissioners. Written statements may be delivered to the staff at the hearing or to the CATS Administration Building prior to the hearing.
In addition to a paratransit fare increase, CATS is considering combining certain routes, adding a new circular route and reducing evening hours of service in order to balance a projected $700,000 budget deficit. CATS says the changes would be more efficient and focus service on areas and times that have demonstrated greater need.
Specific adjustments may include the following:
- 14-Capital (Downtown) Shuttle and 9-Thomas Delpit: Combine into one route (14-Capital (Downtown) Shuttle).
- 23-Foster and 8-Gus Young: Combine into one route (23-Foster).
- 45-Cortana Express: Add a route from terminal to Cortana Mall via Florida Blvd.
- 55-Mall-to-Mall: Add a circular route from Cortana Mall to Mall of Louisiana via Airline Hwy. 54-Airline will no longer run south of Florida Blvd. and 57-Sherwood-Siegen will no longer run south of Airline Hwy.
- 17-Bluebonnet and 14-Capital (Downtown) Shuttle: Separate into two routes (Sundays only).
- All routes: Reduce evening hours to where the latest terminal pull-out is 6:35 p.m. (weekdays), 6:30 p.m. (Saturdays) and 5:00 p.m. (Sundays).
- Running regular Sunday schedules on all holidays.