Posted: Jul 20, 2011 10:39 PM by Ashley Rodrigue
Updated: Jul 20, 2011 10:39 PM
BATON ROUGE- A charter school switch, that got a bunch of parents riled up, has been settled.
Capitol High School is being handed back to the state. The group "100 Black Men" had been in charge. It took over from the East Baton Rouge School System because of poor student performance. The school now goes to the state's Recovery School District after the group fired its education partner.
The most important message to parents and students tonight was that teh school is staying open. Extra-curricular activities are still a go and special classes are still on the schedule. For some parents, that's all they needed to hear.
"We now have a plan in place to be successful," said one parent, "I'm very excited, I'm looking forward to this school season and I'm hoping it's very very successful."
"I feel a little relieved," said Topeka Randle, "I think I'll feel better once school starts and we get on a roll so I guess we're moving in the right direction."
But one parent told us she's still on edge about the switch, specifically because of the uncertainty of the staff.
"Those questions were not answered so I have to wait to see if she returns because if she has to return to a school where you have a new administration and there are new teachers, then I'm just not sure that's going to work for her," said Sheila Briggs.
One student, starting at Capitol this year, says all the change shouldn't be judged until it happens.
"I just gotta see how its gonna go but other than that I think it'll be a great school."
Parents will have two more opportunities for meetings, like the one Wednesday night, before school starts August 10th.