Posted: Oct 4, 2010 5:47 PM by Stephanie Ryan
Updated: Oct 4, 2010 6:41 PM
The state of Louisiana is under a fire ban after a blaze ravaged nearly 1,000 acres in Holden over the weekend.
It took nearly 60 firefighters to tame the inferno, workers who are still closely watching small pockets of fire in Livingston Parish. For the most part, they believe the blaze is under control, but they are not out of the woods yet.
"Conditions are prefect for another fire," said Mark Benton, OEP Director of Livingston Parish. "Unfortunately, it just takes one little gust of wind or one cigarette out of the window in these dry conditions, and we've got a problem."
Benton suspects the blaze may have been started by an unattended trash fire. If found, the person who caused the flames could face fines, citations or even jail time, according to Benton.
"In addition, they're responsible for any damages that fire created. In this case, we're looking at several hundred acres of timberland property that is very, very valuable," said Benton.
Holden Fire Chief Warren Stewart said both, the state burn ban and Livingston burn ban, could be in effect for several weeks or even months as winter approaches. For it to be lifted, Stewart said the state would need several inches of rain.