Burglar leaves behind cash in car wash caper
CENTRAL - For one burglar in Central, crime really didn't pay.
The Geaux Clean Car Wash on Wax Road was robbed early Sunday by a burglar who caused thousands of dollars in damage, but got absolutely nothing according to a manager.
"He's really an idiot, man," said Geaux Clean manager Vinnie Ward. "He should have come with rubber forks and a rubber mallet, he would have done more damage and maybe got more stuff out of the deal."
Surveillance video showed the burglar snooping around the property with a towel and bandanna around his head after the business closed Saturday night. Then he found the machines used to pay for car washes.
"He takes this little propane torch out, and he tries to burn, basically, an ATM," said Ward. "We're talking about a fortress here, nobody is going to put their money in a plastic box."
The would-be thief moved on to his next target, using a hydraulic jack to dislodge an air conditioning unit and gain entry to the office. He took the cash drawer out of a register, which he later left in a lot next door. He also left the jack behind.
"He made zero dollars, and cost us about six to seven thousand dollars of damage, not to mention what it's going to cost to get extra security around here," said Ward.
Managers said the burglar also disconnected several computers, which took four hours to get set back up.
Geaux Clean management says East Baton Rouge Sheriff deputies are often in the area, and responded within minutes of the alarm.
"They ride through but maybe it's not enough. Obviously, he was here three and a half hours and nobody saw him, nobody said anything," said Ward.
If you recognize the man in the video, call the East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
One dead in drive-by shooting north of Denham Springs
Chemical leak in Ascnesion Parish prompts evacuations
Grace period for flood victim utility disconnections will soon end
State shuts down driving school that left students out in the cold
Family homeless since flood starts fire in abandoned house