Investigators release details on deadly fire
BATON ROUGE - Investigators released more details Monday about an apartment fire that claimed the lives of two victims and hospitalized one last week.
BRFD released the names of the victims, 71-year-old Ezekiel Jackson and 63-year-old Gloria Jackson, and listed their causes of death as carbon monoxide poisoning secondary to a residential house fire. The victims' son tried to rescue them from the fire Friday at 2712 Balis Drive. He survived, but was taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries from smoke inhalation.
The three-unit complex was destroyed in the fire, but only the unit containing the victims was occupied by people at the time. Firefighters said the fire looks to have started in the kitchen of the middle apartment.
Investigators said mother, father and son were asleep when the fire broke out. The son tried to save his bed-ridden father and mother from the excessive smoke created by the fire, but was unsuccessful.
Firefighters said they rescued a dog from one of the connected units.
Baton Rouge firefighters, EMS, Entergy and the Red Cross were all on the scene to assist in the wake of the deadly fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Matherne's Market, more student housing coming to LSU's campus
EBR Parish joins legal fight against opioids
Century-old Baton Rouge business featured in National Geographic Magazine
Livingston Parish teacher placed on administrative leave after arrest in underage sex...
Woman accused of contractor fraud was paid over $100k for flood renovations