BRFD: Mattress fire started by child with matches
BATON ROUGE - Firefighters in Baton Rouge said a house fire today was started by a child playing with matches, but put out before any major damage could be done.
Curt Monte with the Baton Rouge Fire Department said the fire was called in just after 3 p.m. from a home in the 4900 block of Hammond Street.
Firefighters found a mattress on fire in a front bedroom, which they quickly put out. They said the home had minimal damage.
Investigators at the scene counseled the child who started the fire, and released him to his parents. They said they would do follow-up counseling with the child and their family.