BR hospital treating family after deadly Christmas fire
BATON ROUGE- Burn surgeons are working to keep a mother and father alive after a house fire where three children died.
Doctors said a special team is working on treating their injuries.
"They're being cared for by a multidisciplinary team," said Dr. Tracee Short of Baton Rouge General. Short said the man and woman were in stable condition Christmas night.
The fire tore through the mobile home in Houma the family was inside early Wednesday morning. Twelve people were in the home when the fire ignited. The three children who did not survive were 11,12, and 13. One was a girl the other two were boys.
"They had just enough time to find an exit and start waking children up and getting them out," State Fire Marshal Butch Browning said. Browning spent his Christmas at the scene with investigators.
"It's just so sad," he said. "Three of them could just not get out because they were in the area where the fire started."
In all, seven were being treated in Baton Rouge for injuries related to the fire.
There were no working smoke detectors and investigators said there were space heaters and candles burning in the home.
"People need working smoke alarms in their home," Browning begged as he looked at the rubble of the trailer.
Doctors said, typically, people are treated for burns and smoke exposure when they are taken to the hospital after a house fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Legislation to address adoption costs still waiting on final approval
North Baton Rouge emergency room meets yearly projections in six months
Friends and family remember Billy Cannon
Governor John Bel Edwards sits down with 2une In to discuss the...
Police discuss recent rash of violent crimes in BR