BR emergency declaration extended
BATON ROUGE - An emergency declaration for East Baton Rouge Parish has been extended to continue to deal with possible flooding.
Mayor-President Kip Holden extended the declaration today. It had been scheduled to expire May 31.
In a press release, Holden said the emergency declaration is necessary to seek direct federal assistance in the event of a disaster.
Deputy Public Works Director Bryan Harmon said that even though the river has crested and is being controlled by the Morganza Spillway, East Baton Rouge Parish will continue to see river levels well in excess of major flood stages over the next few weeks.