Posted: Dec 24, 2013 9:49 AM
NEW ORLEANS - Two former top officials at the settlement program for compensating victims of BP's 2010 Gulf oil spill say their recent resignations had nothing to do with the company's allegations that they frequented a New Orleans strip club that received a settlement payment.
Kirk Fisher, the settlement program's former chief operating officer, said in an email to The Associated Press late Monday that he and former program CEO David Odom left last week to pursue "other opportunities."
In an advertisement that ran Monday in three major newspapers, BP claimed Fisher and Odom resigned following reports that they entertained subordinates at a strip club that received more than $550,000 for its settlement claim.
Fisher denies that he or Odom engaged in any wrongdoing and says they won't address BP's "shamefully distorted implications."